Thursday, May 23, 2024

Texas Frightmare 2024


Readers of my old site will recall I loved attending Texas Frightmare Weekend (TFW), a yearly horror convention held in Dallas, TX.  This year is the 13th year I've been able to attend, and it was just as great as previous years.  Also, this year's con was held in a new venue (technically, this is the second year at the new venue...I was unable to attend last year), and it was an awesome upgrade.  

Attendees wait in line to get in to the new venue...reminds me of ComicCon!

This year, I focused more on buying loot than I did autographs...although I did have to snag a couple of important ones.  The is a living legend, filmmaker Joe Dante!

    Meeting the legendary Joe Dante!  Of course I had him sign a Gremlins pic for me.

The second is a legend in his own right, Sean S. Cunningham, the man responsible for Friday the 13th and Deepstar Six (as you can see in the picture below, I asked him to sign a poster from Deepstar Six...I absolutely LOVE underwater horror).

                                  Filmmaker Sean S. Cunningham

(If you have no clue what Deepstar Six is about, here is the trailer for the film)

TFW brings out all kinds of horror fans, including cosplayers, and this year's group did not disappoint.  I didn't get near as many pictures as I wanted to, but here's a decent taste.





In addition to loot, I brought home A LOT of great memories.  TFW is awesome in its own right, but experiencing it with friends is priceless.

    Hayes, Craig, and me...ready for the con!

    Taco, Hayes, Becky, and me...with the Dora backpack (if you know, you know!)

  Me and...a sketchy-looking Hayes!             

  Hanging out in Taco's room: Craig, Hayes, me, and author Brad Carter.

    Me, Craig, April, and Becky...ready to rock!

    Becky and April, two amazing wives who tolerate us enough to come to TFW!

TFW has become a community to me, and I have friends that I only see down there...but they are definitely "my people" and they're always glad to catch up!    


Although I am not a fan of the 5 hour trip down and back, I am glad Becky and I are able to share it with good friends...it definitely makes the miles go by faster.  This year was one of the best TFWs for me, and I can't wait to see what next year brings!


Ever been to Frightmare?  What about any other horror cons?  Drop me a line in the comments and let me know!


Scott


 


3 comments:

  1. Great write up! TFW is always a great time! Glad we could all experience it together again this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man! And definitely much better together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! Why do I have my tongue out in every picture though? Ha!

    ReplyDelete

Book Review - Horror Movie by Paul Tremblay (2024)

  Horror Movie by Paul Tremblay Published by William Morrow Publish Date: June 11, 2024 Plot Synopsis: In June 1993, a group of young gueril...