Saturday, June 22, 2024

Book Review - Horror Movie by Paul Tremblay (2024)

 

Horror Movie

by Paul Tremblay

Published by William Morrow

Publish Date: June 11, 2024

Plot Synopsis:

In June 1993, a group of young guerilla filmmakers spent four weeks making Horror Movie, a notorious, disturbing, art-house horror flick.

The weird part? Only three of the film’s scenes were ever released to the public, but Horror Movie has nevertheless grown a rabid fanbase. Three decades later, Hollywood is pushing for a big budget reboot.

The man who played “The Thin Kid” is the only surviving cast member. He remembers all too well the secrets buried within the original screenplay, the bizarre events of the filming, and the dangerous crossed lines on set that resulted in tragedy. As memories flood back in, the boundaries between reality and film, past and present start to blur. But he’s going to help remake the film, even if it means navigating a world of cynical producers, egomaniacal directors, and surreal fan conventions—demons of the past be damned.

But at what cost? 

Horror Movie is an obsessive, psychologically chilling, and suspenseful feat of storytelling genius that builds inexorably to an unforgettable, mind-bending conclusion.

Review:

I wasn't sure what to expect going into this book.

I had never read any of Tremblay's titles prior to this one, so I went in with an open mind and high hopes.  Several of my friends have read him and liked him, so I figured his latest offering would be a great place to start.

I'm glad I listened to my friends; Horror Movie is a hell of a book, and I will even go so far as to state it's one of the best books I've read this year.  It even jumps in front of Camp Damascus by Chuck Tingle, I book I absolutely loved!  Tremblay has a surefire hit on his hands with this book, and I highly recommend giving it a look.

Horror Movie sinks its celluloid-tinged fangs into the reader from the start, and just like a defective VHS player eating tape, it never lets go.  The story is riveting, and I knew I was going to tear through the book in just a few days so I could find out what was happening.  Sure enough, I finished the book in four days, almost a record time for me.

Horror Movie is written very well and flows at a nice pace.  I love how it flips between the real world and the movie script of the titular film; this is an extremely inventive way to tell the story, and it works perfectly here.  Tremblay does a masterful job of telling the story while building suspense for the climax.

And WOW, what an ending!  Tremblay ends his book with a bang, and the last sentence is still rattling around in my brain.  I never saw it coming, and it wasn't a cheap or cop-out ending like some books throw at you.  

Horror Movie is a welcome and original entry into the slew of horror novels that have already been published this year.  Original and entertaining, it's a book that deserves a spot in your personal collection, and I wager it is one you will reread after a time.

The book is available now in a variety of formats.



Scott




2 comments:

  1. I saw this advertised somewhere and wondered about it. I'll have to look for a copy! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! Let me know if you read it...I'd love to hear other takes on it.

      Delete

Book Review - Horror Movie by Paul Tremblay (2024)

  Horror Movie by Paul Tremblay Published by William Morrow Publish Date: June 11, 2024 Plot Synopsis: In June 1993, a group of young gueril...